What you couldn’t miss last week: Injustice as no indictment for Mike Brown’s killer, Bill Cosby accused of sexual assault, Security knocks Malema to the ground

By Vanguard Reporter

A roundup of the week’s biggest news and newsmakers.

Makeshift Memorial Mike Brown

1.  Injustice as no indictment for Mike Brown’s killer

A Missouri grand jury decided that it will not criminally harge Ferguson police officer Darren Wilson in the 9 August fatal shooting of Michael Brown. According to prosecuting attorney Robert McCulloch, the 12-person grand jury, including nine whites and three African Americans, that met and heard evidence in secret for months, did not find enough evidence to charge Wilson. According to McCulloch, the grand jury could have charged Wilson criminally with five possible indictments ranging from involuntary manslaughter to murder.

Hours before the grand jury decision was announced, business closed and schools cancelled all after school activities. Several hundred protestors gathered outside of the Ferguson police department began yelling and crying once the decision not to indict Wilson was announced.

For many, the grand jury decision not to charge Wilson came as a shocking, but expected final blow in a case that protestors believed was filled with critical errors by the Ferguson police department and that lead to demonstrations, over the last three months, demanding that Wilson be charged, and a militarized response from state and local police.

With the deployment of the National Guard and a massive police presence, Ferguson looks set for a big stand off between law enforcement authorities and protesters. Brown’s family, meanwhile, have issued a statement saying they were “profoundly disappointed” with the ruling.

-TheRoot.com; BBC

 

_79210990_79210989

2. Boko Haram kills 48 fishermen near border with Chad

Islamist militants from Nigeria’s Boko Haram have reportedly killed 48 people in an attack on fish sellers near the border with Chad.

The attack took place on Thursday, but the news took several days to come to light because Boko Haram has destroyed mobile phone masts in the area. It was the second major attack in two days by Boko Haram.

In Thursday’s attack, the traders were on their way to Chad to buy fish when militants blocked their path near the village of Doron Baga, some 180km (112 miles) north of Maiduguri in Borno state.

Abubakar Gamandi, the head of the fish sellers’ association, said the militants had used no guns.

“The attackers killed their victims silently without the use of the gun to avoid attracting attention from the multi-national troops,” he told AFP news agency.

On Wednesday, Boko Haram gunmen attacked the village of Azaya Kura, also in Borno state, killing at least 45 people. The attack was apparently aimed at punishing the community after four insurgents were pointed out to soldiers and were shot dead.

In April, the group abducted over 270 school girls in Chibok, north of Nigeria and they have not been returned home.

–bbc.com, leadership.ng

 

Delia Adonis

3. Five UCT students charged with assault for racially abusing and attacking 52 year old Delia Adonis

The Cape Times has reported that a case of assault has been laid against five university students who allegedly assaulted 52-year-old Delia Adonis.

Adonis, 52, a cleaner at Stadium On Main in Claremont, laid charges after she was severely beate, allegedly by a group of young men she said were drunk  in the shopping centre’s parking lot on October 17.

She said on Sunday she witnessed the five men leave Tiger Tiger nightclub before they waited outside in Main Road for another patron, who they attacked. After she assisted the victim by getting the attention of law enforcement officers, she went to the parking lot to have a smoke.

“They were waiting for me and started swearing at me. They were asking why I helped that guy,” she said.

Adonis’s son Tesh-Lee, 17, works at the mall as a cleaner on a casual basis.

“My son came down to ask me for the keys to the storeroom to get some cleaning equipment,” she said.

Tesh-Lee said he saw the men circling his mother.

“I asked them: ‘Who do you think you are swearing at?’. And then one of them said: ‘This coloured b****’,” he said.

“Then I heard them say: ‘You’re a coloured c***, you coloured mother******’, to my mother. One of them kicked her from behind. She fell over and then they just all started kicking her all over her body.

“I tried to stop them, but they just pushed me aside.”

Adonis said she was so badly beaten her face was covered in blood and she could not move. “My son helped me up and we managed to get their registration. It was a black Volkswagen Polo,” she said.

The report also said that a policeman was also facing charges of defeating the ends of justice and bribery for allegedly trying to quash the case.

–news24.com. iol.co.za, sabreakingnews.co.za

 

timthumb

4. EFF leader Julius Malema knocked to the ground by security guard at meeting with Cyril Ramaphosa

Economic Freedom Fighters leader Julius Malema and a security officer had a scuffle at Emoyeni Conference Centre in Parktown where opposition parties met Deputy President Cyril Ramaphosa.

“He pushed me and he refused me entrance [because] I refused to be searched,” Malema told reporters after the meeting.

“They don’t search this Cyril Ramaphosa, who kills people,” he said, in an apparent reference to Ramaphosa’s intervention, as a former non-executive director at Lonmin, in the events at Marikana, where 44 people died in strike-related violence in 2012.

Malema complained that African National Congress members attending the meeting were not searched.

“For what nonsense, who do they call us to be searched by these thugs? I’m not going to subject myself to harassment from the ANC,” Malema said.

Metal detectors were set up at the entrance to the Emoyeni conference centre, where the talks were held.

–citizen.co.za, timeslive.co.za

 

1416699715_bill-cosby1-g

5. Over 17 women accuse comedian Bill Cosby of rape as sexual assault claims spread

Rape allegations have been following the comedian for decades, but public chatter reached a fever pitch after fellow comedian Hannibal Burros called him a rapist while performing in Philadelphia on October. 16. After his incendiary set went viral, several more women came forward to chronicle their alleged experiences with Cosby. They include Andrea Constand, Barbara Bowman, Joan Tarshis, and Janice Dickinson.

The sexual assault allegations that recently resurfaced against the comedian first became public in 2005 when a former employee of his alma mater, Temple University, claimed he had drugged and abused her a year earlier at his suburban Philadelphia home.

Andrea Constand, director of operations for Temple University’s women’s basketball team, allegedly met with Bill Cosby, who had been a member of Temple’s track and field and football teams, when he assumed a role as her mentor.

According to Constand, she visited Cosby at his Cheltenham, Pennsylvania, home to discuss career advice, and after allegedly giving her “herbal” pills to ease her anxiety, Cosby “touched her breasts and vaginal area, rubbed his penis against her hand, and digitally penetrated” her.

Constand accused Cosby of “inappropriate touching, groping her breasts and placing her hand on his genitals” to Canadian authorities. Cosby’s lawyer calls her allegation “utterly preposterous” and “plainly bizarre.”

Several more women, including former Law & Order: SVU actress Michelle Hurd, came forth accusing Cosby of rape and other sexual misconduct. In addition, a former NBC employee, Frank Scotti, claims Cosby paid off eight women with whom he allegedly had affairs between 1989 and 1990, ‘buying their silence’ for $2,000 at a time. Scotti, who worked as a facilities manager at the Brooklyn studio where The Cosby Show was filmed, told the New York Daily News he was the delivery man for the cash. “He had everybody fooled,” Scotti told the Daily News. “Nobody suspected.”

Along with former supermodel Janice Dickinson and the wife of actor Lou Ferrigno, Hurd became the third prominent person to accuse Cosby of rape. The SVU actress said on her Facebook page (reposted on ShowBiz411.com), “I wasn’t going to say anything, but I can’t believe some of the things [I]’ve been reading, SO here is MY personal experience.” She went on to allege that when she was a Cosby Show stand-in,Cosby made her do “weird acting exercises” and ran his hands over her body. “[I] can’t believe I fell for that. I was instructed to NEVER tell anyone,” she added.

Cosby’s lawyer released a statement on his website, saying “Over the last several weeks, decade-old, discredited allegations against Mr. Cosby have resurfaced. The fact that they are being repeated does not make them true. Mr. Cosby does not intend to dignify these allegations with any comment. He would like to thank all his fans for the outpouring of support and assure them that, at age 77, he is doing his best work. There will be no further statement from Mr. Cosby or any of his representatives.”

See timeline on the history of the allegations

–globalnews.ca, usmagazine.com, vulture.com, bet.com

 

Vincent Bones

6. Vincent Bones wins Idols SA 2014

After several weeks of singing his heart out on Idols SA, Vincent Bones emerged as this year’s winner.

The 30-year-old singer, who hails from Pietermaritzburg, heard on Sunday night at the Carnival City Casino and Entertainment Centre live finale that he received most of the more than 4.5 million votes from fans, defeating equally talented 24-year-old Bongi Silinda from Nelspriut.

As the 2014 Idols SA winner, Bones scooped several prizes, including a R700 000 cash prize from headline sponsor Telkom, M-Net and Mzansi Magic. He also drove away in a R247 300 Ford Fiesta Titanium with award-winning 1 litre Ecoboost Engine from Ford South Africa.

The main prize was a recording contract with Universal Music Africa.

“We have two incredibly talented singers with mature voices who are able to cover a large spectrum of music, and I think that they both have bright careers ahead of them. We look forward to working with Vincent on his album,” said Idols SA judge and Universal Music Managing Director Randall Abrahams.

Check out Bones’ video for his single Let me love

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvAuC1HC9dc

–iol.co.za, channel24.co.za, timeslive.co.za

44 Comments
  1. I just want to say I’m newbie to blogs and truly liked you’re web site. Most likely I’m planning to bookmark your site . You absolutely come with good article content. Thank you for revealing your website.

  2. Wow! This could be one particular of the most useful blogs We have ever arrive across on this subject. Basically Fantastic. I am also an expert in this topic therefore I can understand your effort.

  3. Thank you for every other great post. Where else may anyone get that type of information in such a perfect method of writing? I ave a presentation next week, and I am at the look for such information.

  4. obviously like your web-site but you need to check the spelling on quite a few of your posts. Many of them are rife with spelling problems and I find it very troublesome to tell the truth nevertheless I’ll surely come back again.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>