By Thato Magano (@pothaeto)
A roundup of the biggest newsmakers and news of the week.
1. Goodluck Jonathan under attack for campaign slogan mocking missing Chibok girls
The campaign team of President Goodluck Jonathan is currently under heavy attack over the campaign slogan #BringBackGoodluck2015.
Over the week, the campaigners released a banner with the inscription, #BringBackOurGoodluck2015, a slogan that is perceived to be a mockery of the #BringBackOurGirls campaign, which was given prominence months ago to champion the release of the 200+ missing Chibok girls believed to be kidnapped by the Boko Haram.
The Washington Post commented ‘this may be the most inappropriate political hashtag of the year’, and condemned the insensitivity of the current administration towards the plight of the Chibok girls, saying the campaign slogan was inappropriate.
Today, 16 September, it is 155 days since 275 girls were abducted from the Chibok Government Secondary School by Boko Haram, on the night of 14 April. Although 47 of these girls have managed to escape, the others remain captive.
–The Daily Post
2. Fired Generations actors prepared to go back to work
The 16 fired actors from the local soapie Generations are prepared to return to work, they said on Monday.
“We are prepared to go back to work. Negotiations are still under way. This fight is for the benefit of every creative worker in this industry. It is to make sure each and every actor in this country… has contracts that offer you a sustainable life…” actor Patrick Shai told reporters in Braamfontein, Johannesburg.
The actors were fired on August 18 for going on strike during a wage dispute. These include a reduction to 10 working hours a day, the provision of social benefits, an end to inconsistencies in remuneration, payment of royalties, and better working conditions.
Earlier on Monday Cosatu general secretary Zwelinzima Vavi urged actors thinking of replacing the 16 who were fired from the soapie not to consider it.
“Don’t cross the picket line. Don’t make yourself scab labour. Don’t add salt to the (wound),” he told reporters in Johannesburg.
Mr Vavi said Cosatu and CWUSA had agreed to campaign for the actors’ demands.
3. Controversy as Oscar Pistorius is found guilty of culpable homicide
Judge Thokozile Masipa delivered her judgement in the Oscar Pistorius murder trial last week. The judge found the paralympian guilty of culpable homicide after he shot dead his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp at his home on February 14 2013.
Pistorius had been charged with the “wilful and intentional murder” of Ms Steenkamp by the National Prosecuting Authority of South Africa. The 27-year-old had denied the charge as he claimed that he mistook her for an intruder after hearing a noise in the bathroom of his home.
South African lawyers and legal academics have expressed surprise at Judge Masipa’s judgement in Oscar Pistorius’ murder trial.
“I’m shocked. I think she’s going to get quite a lot of criticism from the judiciary and the legal system,” said Johannesburg-based criminal lawyer Martin Hood.
South African Attorney James Aveyard was also stunned at the judgement handed down in the North Gauteng High Court.
“The judgement itself took many attorneys by surprise as we were all expecting at the very least he would be found guilty of murder on the more serious dolus eventualis,” he said.
Judge Masipa also extended Pistorius’ bail to October 13 when arguments in mitigation and aggravation of sentencing will be heard.
4. Beyoncé and Nicki Minaj are Flawless in Paris
Beyoncé and Nicki Minaj just took their flawless level up a notch.
The superstar singers shared the stage together Friday in Paris for the first-ever live performance of their remix rendition of Queen Bey’s track “Flawless.”
This is the second time Beyoncé and Minaj were able to leave their fans with their jaws dropped as in true Beyonce fashion they released their duet unannounced back in August.
Beyoncé and husband Jay Z are currently wrapping up their summer tour “On The Run” this weekend in the City of Lights and the concerts will air in an HBO special later this month.
5. #Blacktwitter comes for American Vogue after their ‘age of big booty’ article
Fashion magazine Vogue has attracted criticism for an article published online last week discussing the rise of the big booty.
In the article written by Patricia Garcia and entitled “We’re Officially in the Era of the Big Booty” the magazine argues that a large derriere has become ubiquitous and uses examples including Jennifer Lopez, Iggy Azalea, Rose McGowan and Kim Kardashian to demonstrate the popularity of big behinds.
For years it was exactly the opposite; a large butt was not something one aspired to, rather something one tried to tame in countless exercise classes.”
The feature immediately sparked criticism for supposedly being out of touch with popular culture and ignoring cultural diversity by focusing predominately on white celebrities. The majority of criticism lies in the article’s failure to look back further than the 90’s or acknowledge the specific relationship between popular opinion, butts and the female black body.
Black Twitter responded the best way they know how — with the creation of a biting hashtag: #VogueArticles. In two days, over 4,500 tweets had swarmed the internet with fake article names shaming cultural appropriation.
–The Independent, Huffington Post